How to tell if you have 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi network
All Nexx Smart Devices work on 2.4GHz WiFi network frequency only.
Look at your available networks
- Open up your WiFi menu on your phone or computer and see if there are multiple options with your WiFi's name.
- See if there are multiple similar network names, for example:
- "home_wifi" and "home_wifi_5G"
- "home_wifi" and "home_wifi 5.0"
- "home_wifi" and "home_wifi5"
- "home_wifi 2G" and "home_wifi"
- If there are multiple similar networks, pick the one with either 2G, 2GHz, or nothing extra in the name. That is most likely the 2.4GHz WiFi network.
If that is not the case, try the following options. We recommend you check through a computer as easiest.
There is no information on iOS regarding the network band, so we recommend you check your network through a computer. See the instructions for Apple or Windows computers.
If you don't have a computer here are some options for finding out your network band on an iOS:
- Install a WiFi analyzer app from Apple Play.
- Obtain the information via your router settings. For more information on this process, please consult your specific router’s manufacturer or user manual for more details.
- Click on the WiFi icon in the top nav bar while holding down the Option/Alt key.
- You will see detailed information in grey about your Wi-Fi. In the middle it will show which channel your Wi-Fi is using.
- “Channel” will either say in the brackets 2.4GHz or 5GHz.
- From Notification Panel press and hold the WiFi icon until you enter WiFi settings screen.
- Select the network properties (tap the gear icon or menu icon).
- Depending on the Android version check:
- Read the “Frequency” setting – shows as 2.4 or 5GHz.
- Read the “Network speed” setting – if speed is over 400 Mbps then you are using 5GHz network.
- Connect to the WiFi network.
- Open your networks panel from your taskbar (click the WiFi icon in the bottom right).
- Click on “Properties” of your WiFi network.
- In the new window that opens, scroll all the way down to “Properties”.
- “Network Band” will either say 2.4GHz or 5GHz.